The Blackboard Spotlight: Chuck Maldonado (Part 3)


AWARD-WINNING CHOREOGRAPHER CHUCK MALDONADO SHARES HIS STEPS OF WISDOM TO NEWCOMERS

From Ne-Yo to Chris Brown, Chuck Maldonado has worked with some of music’s most popular artists.  His work can be seen in Hollywood box office thrillers like Stomp the Yard and TV shows such as ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars.”  Chuck sits back on the hot seat to discuss his falls, struggles and rise to glory in the industry.

Background: Choreographer/ Dance Instructor

EMGWorld: Would you say that attending college is necessary for someone who desires to work as an entertainer?
CM: A lot of people always ask me that.  Like anything else, I think you do need training.  What's weird to me is people in the entertainment field don't want to train as hard as people that want to be a doctor.  If you want to be a doctor no one is just going to give you a scalpel and let you do a heart transplant on someone.  That's crazy.  For us it's the same thing.  If you want to be a dancer, take dance classes.  If you want to be an actor, take acting classes.  Don't just think you're [already] good enough.

EMGWorld: What would you recommend to dancers out there who believe they have the ‘it’ factor?
CM: I would recommend to any dancer out there that believes you have that ‘it’ factor and people keep telling you you're dope, train and train hard so you can make it really big.  I trained hard because I knew I had the 'it' factor and wanted to enhance what I have.  By doing that I took classes in all forms of dance so I would never have to say "no I can't do tap" or "no I can't do jazz."  I took everything so I could have more opportunities.  

EMGWorld: What’s the best way for a newcomer to seek representation?
CM: There’s different ways.  You can do submissions, but I wouldn't recommend it.  One way is to audition for the agency.  I told a young dancer to just call the agency and say, "Hey my name is ___, I'm looking for representation and would like to setup a meeting with you."  They can say one of three things.  They can say we're not taking people because we have too many clients, let's setup a meeting, or we're having an audition next month and invite you.  When you go to the audition just kill it.  

The BEST way is if you know someone who's already in the agency and willing to give you a recommendation.  

EMGWorld: What would you say is the most effective way for someone to network within the industry?
CM: When you're in classes you'll meet other dancers and choreographers.   You're constantly networking in that way.  I use to take alot of what I like to call the 'right' classes.  I'd try to find out who's a working choreographer.  I would do my research on them, take their classes and introduce myself.  I just made myself available and said to them, "if you're ever looking for someone just let me know.  I would love to audition."    I would never say "hire me" or "use me."  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“You have to let things roll right off of you.  Don't take anything personal.” – Chuck Maldonado, Blackboard Spotlight
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMGWorld: What’s the best networking event to attend?
CM: In the dance community, we have something called Carnival.  Carnival is once a month and allows young up and coming choreographers to display their work on stage.  Every single dance agency is there.  Celebrity people go and it's jammed packed with dancers.  It's a great way to network and meet agencies, dancers and future choreographers.  

EMGWorld: How would you suggest someone network at a party?
CM: Industry parties are another source to network, but there is a thin line that easily goes from networking to being a pest.  A lot of these Hollywood choreographers may not want to be approached.  If you're going to introduce yourself to someone it’s usually because you already know who they are.  You know what they've done.  You have to find the right way and do your homework.  

EMGWorld: Why should someone not just go in for the kill?
CM: Going in for the kill can make people very UNCOMFORTABLE.  Giving someone your business card is cool.   Asking alot of questions makes me feel uncomfortable.  I don't know you as a dancer or even as a person.   I'm a real nice person and won't say anything, but an introduction is more than enough.  

EMGWorld: What would you consider as a simple introduction?
CM: "How are you doing my name is ____.  I just wanted to introduce myself.  I didn't want anything.  I know you're here having fun.  I just wanted to say hello."  Nine out of ten times they'll respond and introduce themselves as well.

EMGWorld: What’s the best question someone can ask you who’s looking to follow in your path?
CM: The best question someone can ask is 'do you teach?'  I do like when people say I'd like to take your class.  That means everything to me because it says, "I would love to learn from you."   That's the best time to meet someone.  Instead of asking for a job they're showing they want to earn it.  I've hired so many people from my classes.

EMGWorld: Who would you say has done the most in opening up the door for the dance world?
CM: In my opinion, I'd say Debbie Allen hands down.  She's the spokesperson appointed by President Obama for the whole entertainment field.  Her work has OPENED so many doors not just for people of color but for everybody who's ever had a dream to be a part of this industry.  She's everything to me.  She opened up doors for me and allowed me to choreograph things she's directed and teach at her academy.  She's constantly writing, producing, acting, choreographing, etc.  She does it all.  She's done so much for so many different dancers.  

EMGWorld: What would you say is the key ingredient for a performer to succeed in their craft?
CM: You must have HEART.  The entertainment industry is one of the only places where they can say, "no you're too big," "no you're too skinny," "no you're too white," or "not white enough."  They can say I'm too short and there's nothing I can do about it.  Rejection is around you all the time so you need skin of leather.  You have to let things roll right off of you.  Don't take anything personal.  If you can do that and it's in your heart then everything is going to be fine because you'll be able to take criticism and move forward.  

EMGWorld: What’s the worst mistake someone can make who has a desire to be a performer?
CM: There’s so many different things.  One is getting involved with the wrong people and getting involved with the wrong things like drugs.  Your body is your temple.  You're going to need it and you need to be healthy.  You have to take care of your body and you have to be healthy.  To me that’s the worst thing you can do.  If you're not healthy you can't do anything for me.



Follow us on twitter @TeamEMGWorld or friend us on facebook.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2012 The Blackboard.